(-The finished album cover ^ )
The glitched artwork I'm making at the moment falls under the general heading of obsolete technology experiments and realising this I thought I'd pop up 2 album covers I created for a trad band in donegal a looong time ago.
I made them during my second year of college and I'm quite proud of both of them (however the green cover was turned down) I created the images by making a quick layout on photoshop and then printing them out.
It was at this point I had my fun; getting hands on with the printed image (scratching, damaging and using the mistakes). At the time I was using an inkjet printer on some glossy photographic paper which doesn't absorb the ink very fast so before the ink had a chance to dry I rubbed, stroked and scratched the surface to get some odd distortions. The black inks were absorbed almost instantly and I was never able to move them much however the CMY colours were free as a bird!
After this I turned to my family scanner and popped my images back into the computer for a re-touchin' and a fiddlin'. The experiment made good use of the printers specific properties and gave me an image that would be hard to recreate in another medium. So I was happy. It was fun to use the printer for representation rather than just a tool for perfect replication.
(-The first try ^)
After the first design was turned down and I was starting work for the second version I noticed my printer was running low on ink during the week. I really liked where the different inks were cutting out during printing and figured it'd be a good next step for experimenting. It left strange marks and patterns on the print and had a bit of unpredictability so I was excited. It took a few trys but I ended up settling on two images which I then scanned in and combined in photoshop. Insert colour adjustment, typography.. double-check composition.. well Bada-bing Bada-Boom Its done! :D And I have an album cover for a Donegal trad band!
Friday, July 22, 2011
Some photos have emerged from my exhibition with UCA Maidstone's illustration course last June. The time spent at that course had a monumental effect on my work. It made me want to pursue an art career again(a drive which was slowly eroded over the last few years) and get all excited-and-such about the future . Also the tutors there were absolutely perfect people as well, professionally + personally. Especially Neil Breeden and Emily Mitchell. I owe them alot.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
A new step in my experiments with corruption! It's been a bit of a struggle but I've managed to progress that little bit more with my know-how of glitching. Enough that it's worthy of blogging. I'd like to thank the wonderful people on the TOG mailing list for providing me with the advice and links for my !!knowledge quest!!. I had hoped to provide you with a finished piece of artwork but my central work hasn't been going as planned.
Hopefully these images will be enough. The photo featured belongs to Anaelle Steiner. An amazing analogue photographer who has a passion for found photography.
The image featured is from a stereoscopic collection that she has had in her possession for a long time. We are currently working on a collaborative project together using these images and I hope in the next month or so I will be able to show you the fruits of our labour.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Expanding, broadening, diversifying etc. I am trying out new corruption which will give me huge new possibilities for expression. The image here was created by corrupting a png file. Good tip: if your corruption wont open in regular photo viewers try microsoft paint or download Irfanviewer